- This event has passed.
Theories of Legal Obligation – Workshop
February 16 @ 8:45 am - 5:30 pm
IAS visiting Fellow, Dr Stefano Bertea (University of Leicester) in conjunction with the Durham Law School will organise a one-day workshop on legal obligation. The workshop will take place online. For inquiries and obtaining the credentials to access the event, please contact Dr Stefano Bertea at [email protected] The programme of the workshop can be found below.
Wednesday 16 February 2022
- 8.45 – 9.00 – Stefano Bertea (University of Leicester): Welcome and Introduction
- 9.00 – 10.00 – David Duarte (University of Lisbon): Legal and Moral Obligation and the Identity Criteria of Normative Systems
- 10.15 – 11.15 – Tomasz Gizbert-Studnicki (Jagiellonian University): Natural Obligations
- 11.15 – 12.15 – Lorenz Khäler (University of Bremen): The Ontological Ideality of Legal Obligations
- 13.15 – 14.15 – Deryck Beyleveld (University of Durham): Why Any Legal Positivist Idea of Legal Obligation is Untenable
- 14.15 – 15.15 – Martin Borowski (University of Heidelberg): Gustav Radbruch’s Theory of Legal Obligation
- 15.30 – 16.30 – Noam Gur (Queen Mary University of London): Understanding Legal Normativity through Different Lenses: Obligations, Reasons for Action, and Reasons for Attitudes
- 16.30 – 17.30 – Thom Brooks (University of Durham): Legal Obligation as a Matter of Interpretation